Extremity Adjustments at Midwest Chiropractic and Acupuncture
Joint problems can cause all kinds of pain. Sometimes that pain is referred along nerve pathways to remote areas of the body, while at other times it causes localized pain and stiffness. While chiropractic adjustments to the spine can often relieve referred pain to the extremities, sometimes the extremity joints themselves are the ones that need adjusting. That's why our Blair chiropractor at Midwest Chiropractic and Acupuncture is happy to offer extremity adjustments to relieve problems such as ankle, shoulder/neck, knee, and elbow/arm/wrist pain.
The Pain and Stiffness of Extremity Joint Problems
Your arms, legs, hands, and feet (collectively known as the extremities) contain a large number of articulated joints. These joints make it possible for you to throw a ball, play an instrument, write or type, run, dance, and stay upright on your feet. Unfortunately, these joints are just as prone to misalignment as the vertebral joints. Extremity joint misalignment can be responsible for:
- Ankle pain - If the bones of the ankle joint are not aligned properly, your entire body weight may be pressing down on your ankles unevenly. This can cause chronic ankle pain and connective tissue strain.
- Shoulder and neck pain - The shoulders can fall prey to joint misalignment or even total dislocation. A misalignment in this area can cause tendinitis, bursitis, or adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder). Neck pain may also originate as a shoulder problem.
- Knee pain - Instability in the knee or kneecap can cause a collection of painful symptoms known as Miserable Misalignment Syndrome. Injuries, chronic overuse, or postural problems can lead to knee pain.
- Elbow and arm pain - Tennis elbow and golfer's elbow are two common soft tissue injuries which can be related to a misaligned elbow joint. The pain may radiate to the arm.
- Wrist pain - Wrist pain is commonly caused by carpal tunnel syndrome, in which the median nerve is pinched by surrounding structures, possibly including misaligned wrist bones.
Getting Help from Our Blair Chiropractor
Our Blair chiropractor can examine every part of your musculoskeletal system, including the extremity joints, to find the underlying cause of your symptoms. If we spot an extremity joint misalignment, a series of gentle adjustments can help the joint re-establish its proper position and function, easing your pain and stiffness. Additional treatments which may prove helpful include cold laser therapy, acupuncture, corrective exercises, and lifestyle or ergonomic changes to help you protect your extremity joints.
Take the First Step toward Feeling Better
If you're ready to enjoy natural relief from your extremity pain, you're ready to visit Midwest Chiropractic and Acupuncture. Call (402) 426-9211 today for an evaluation!